Seasoning & Spices Review
Mouth watering from just opening the seasoning and spices packaging. Yeah, I knew it was going to make some good jerky. The aromas coming from each packaging nearly overwhelmed me, and my saliva glands could barely keep up with the imagines of fresh jerky dancing around in my head.
I want to start by putting what was put on the card that was inside the bag of jerky for seasoning.
- Ground Meat Method
- Mix contents of one Seasoning and Cure* packet with 5 lbs lean, ground meat and 1/2 cup cold water. Mix until sticky and the color is uniform throughout, without any streaks. This ensures that the Cure is evenly distributed.
- Choose one of the next two methods to form strips of seasoned meat prior to drying.
- Jerky Gun Method: Use a jerky gun to form strips of seasoned meat. Lay the strips on wire racks (or dehydrator trays), leaving approximately 1/4″ space between the strips. Do not overlap.
- Rolling Pin Method: Place a small portion of seasoned meat between two sheets of waxe paper. Roll the meat until it is about 1/4″ thick. Remove the top piece of wax paper. Cut the flattened meat into strips, then gently lay them on wire racks (or dehydrator trays), as instructed above.
- Whole Meat Method
- Use only lean, well-trimmed wild game or domestic meat. Slice meat with the grain no more than 1/4″ thick.
- Add contents of one Seasoning and Cure* packet to 1 cup cold water in a large, non-metallic bowl and mix well.
- Add 5 lbs sliced meat to marinade, mixing well, making sure all surfaces of meat are coated. Transfer the meat mixture to a large plastic storage bag. Refrigerate 8-24 hours. Longermarinating will intensify flavor.
- Remove the meat from marinade and lay on wire racks. ** Leave approximately 1/4″ space between the strips, being sure not to overlap. Discard remaining marinade.
Cure contains sodium nitrate, which is essential in preserving jerky. Use caution when handling and follow instructions carefully. Keep out of reach of children.
** In place of wire racks, sliced jerky can be placed on metal skewers and hung down through the top of an oven rack. Place cooke sheet on the bottom rack to catch the drippings.
- Conventional Oven
- Set oven temperature to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the loaded wire on cookie sheets then place into oven.
- Prop the open door about 1″ for the first hour to improve ventilation and reduce drying time.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn jerky strips over. Turn jerky strips over every 30 minutes while baking until done.
- Dehydrator Method
- Completely load the dehydrator before turning the unit on.
- Dry the jerky at 160 degrees Fahrenheit for 4-6 hours.
- Rotate racks and blot surface of jerky occasionally, until done.
- Smokehouse Method
Preheat the smokehouse to 140 degrees Fahrenheit before laoding. Then follow these instructions
Stage 1—1 hour–140 degrees Fahrenheit—Smoke Off—Damper Closed
Stage 2—1 hour–150 degrees Fahrenheit—Smoke On—Damper Open
Stage 3—***——160 degrees Fahrenheit—Smoke Off—Damper Open
***Until jerky shrinks 50% by weight or until done.
Note: These instructions are meant as a general guideline. Refer to and follow the instructions of your smoker.
Storage and Tips
Jerky should be stored in a dark, dry place between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. Jerky will retain its color and flavor for months stored in this manner. If moisture droplets appear on the inside of your storage container, the jerky should be dried further. Properly dried jerky should be firm, not crisp. Good jerky will break but not snap when bent.
Drying times will vary based on several factors. The amount of jerky, relative humidity, and moisture content of the meat.
Avoid storage in plastic containers or bags.
Lots of information on the cards, but I wanted to write them out so you could read the instructions for yourself. The variety pack of the different seasonings really does take your nose away. I have not tried every single pack yet, but the ones I have, my mouth has gone nuts over. I have to restrain myself from eating the entire batch!
I do highly recommend this, and if you are a jerky lover, you will love this set.
You can check out this on Amazon HERE.
Disclaimer: I did receive this jerky pack variety set for free in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
#jerkykit #review #variety #freeforreview